Pages

Monday 13 June 2011

Delia's Wholewheat Treacle Sponge

By Helen
Main Ingredients:

  • Golden syrup
  • Wholewheat flour
  • Eggs
  • Margarine
  • Brown sugar

"Sticky Toffee Pudding is my favourite - but I wouldn't ask you to make it," said this week's guest - several times in fact. I couldn't ignore such blatant hint-dropping and consulted Delia for the nearest thing I could find.

I poured the syrup into the bottom of the bowl then mixed all the other ingredients together and poured the mixture on top. So far, so foolproof. After tying on a foil lid I improvised a steamer with the largest saucepan I could find (basically the same size as the bowl) and boiled for around two hours.

It was a nervewracking moment when I wrestled the steaming bowl out of the water but although the pudding refused to turn out, it was beautifully cooked through and with a little extra syrup and some cream was really good. The wholewheat flour gave it a nutty, flapjacky taste and stopped it being too stodgy or sweet.

Now I know how to make it, it'd be easy to whip up from whatever's in the cupboard (it only cost 45p per head in extra ingredients) but I can't help thinking there must be a way to microwave it instead.

Best for... Completing a traditional meal and feeding your inner child.
Taken from... Delia Smith - Complete Illustrated Cookery Course
Chris says... Sticky, tasty and not too stodgy - I would happily eat this again!

4 comments:

  1. Microwave cake is the way forwards! also, I hate to say this, but as good as this surely was, technically this isn't a true sticky toffee pudding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realise I've just volunteered myself to do better next time I'm down...or when you guys come up! There we go, what an incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make half-quantities of the recipe and microwave it for about 3.5 to 4 minutes. Works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treacle pudding is different from sticky toffee pudding - the latter is dark with dates etc. Treacle pudding would originally have been steamed with black treacle/honey and a hint of ginger but has metamorphosed into golden syrup in recent decades!

    ReplyDelete